Wheee! Another DIY post! These babies just keep rolling in, don’t they? I am loving this winter break.
I’ve been thinking of doing a simple refashion project for a long time. Then something happened and I HAD to do it. No prizes for guessing what it is because I’m going to show you the pictures of the rather unfortunate incident.
Yes this is what the washing machine did to my tank top. It ripped it right across at the back! And how unfortunate that it’s not located at some place where I can do some strategic sewing or patching. Oh whatever.
What is done, is done. So I simply cut the strip, gathered a few beads, a section of lace … and got this after less than 30 minutes.
So, if your washing machine is also an angry, tank-ripping machine, come follow the steps and create your own refashioned Rosette and Lace Tee!
1 strip of t-shirt
Pearl and clear beads
Sewing needle and thread
NOTE: You may want to practice the steps and see if you like how your rosette looks before attempting to sew it into position.
Sorry about the orientation. That’s Blogger trying to smart and rotating my pictures…
1. Cut the bottom of your tee (the hem) to yield a 36cm strip. You can use a longer strip to make a bigger flower or a shorter one to make a smaller flower.
2. Fold down to create a triangle at one of the ends. Sew into position.
3. Crease the lower part of the strip and fold it towards the triangle. Sew into position.
4. Crease at a lower part along the strip again, this time a further distance away from the 2nd crease. Sew into position.
5. Turn the strip towards the first triangle to cover the bottom part of the triangle. Sew into position.
6. Crease and turn it anti-clockwise. The first triangle should be partially covered. Sew into position.
7. Fold the strip down while turning the strip anti-clockwise. Sew into position.
8. Continue folding and turning at random and sew into position. You should get a rosette that looks something like this. It’s ok if your rosette looks lightly different from mine. That’s the beauty of it!
9. Sew the rosette onto your plain top. Don’t sew it all around the edges because we need to add the lace! Sew beads to the centre.
10. Get a section of lace.
11. Fold the straight edge of the lace left and right like an accordion. Sew it in place.
12. Tuck the folded bit of the lace into a corner of the rosette. Sew it in place.
13. Tuck the 2 ends of the lace under the rosette and sew it in place.
There you have it, a t-shirt flower with lace as its leave. (^_^)
Hope you like it!
P.S.: Ok, so you may be thinking that I still have the rest of the tank that I have not cut and used… Well, I’m keeping them at the moment and waiting to see what comes to my mind. I don’t want to waste an inch of the tank!!!