Ooh, I just can’t get enough of my new hairpin.
The iridescent quality of sequins makes it sparkle so much under the sun, it’s hard to get a clear picture of it on my hair.
Ooh, and it’s pseudo-vintage/Victorian! How can you not make one for yourself!?
20 x Sequins
10 x Seed beads
5 x Small plastic pearl beads
Plain hairpin/bobby pin
1. Thread a long piece of thread through the eye of a needle. Tie the 2 ends of the thread together into a knot.
Bring your needle and the thread through a piece of felt. This is the point where the middle of the flower lies.
Insert beads and sequins through the needle in this order:
1. small pearl bead
2. small seed bead
3. sequin with the concave side towards the eye of the needle
4. sequin with the convex side towards the eye of the needle
5. small seed bead
6. sequin with the concave side towards the eye of the needle
7. sequin with the convex side towards the eye of the needle
2. Insert the needle through the felt again. The point of insertion should be just a small distance away from the point of the middle of the flower.
3. Pull the thread all the way and make it tight. (BUT NOT TOO TIGHT!)
This is how your first petal should look like from the side.
4. Repeat the same for the subsequent petals.
You can make as many petals as you like. I like to have 5 petals because it makes it look like a sakura.
5. Tie a dead knot at the back of the flower.
6. Cut off the sequin flower from the piece of felt and trim the remaining felt such that the no felt can be seen when you see the flower from above.
Cut a small piece of felt and insert it between a plain hairpin/bobby pin. This piece of felt should be smaller than the back of the flower.
7. This is how your flower should look from the top! You shouldn’t be able to see any of the felt.
If you find that your flower seems a bit floppy, you could fold the flower into half to reveal the felt at the centre of the flower. Then add a small dab of glue to the felt and push all the petals towards the centre again!
8. Use super glue (or whatever kind of adhesives that you are comfortable with) to stick the small piece of felt between the hairpin to the back of the flower.
Enjoy your lovely, new, pseudo-vintage hairpin!